Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Slow Down for a Desperate Generation

Over the past few days I have found a new desire to slow down and begin to cherish moments. I have a 13 month old who is growing up way too fast, plus I’m 7 months pregnant. (Just realized I'm in my 3rd trimester and have barely even noticed how quickly it's happening! Major freak out moment!)rushing it. Not to mention that there seem to be fewer and fewer enjoyable moments in life, at least until we begin to notice and mark the ones that are. Watching my son, Justice, grow up this year has only increased this need to slow down and enjoy moments. Time, in and of itself, is fast enough without me rushing it.


When we are busy running full speed ahead, we don't only miss our own moments, but the moments in which we need to take time to effect those around us. We live in a generation filled with hurt and pain, a generation of busy people; where families are only surviving by way of two incomes and barely that. We live in a generation where every attitude, desire, or preference is acted upon with little or no shame. We're so busy trying to keep up that we have begun to miss opportunities to slow down. We're missing opportunities to get past our own dysfunctions, distractions and disabilities and change a generation through kindness and generosity.

So my challenge to myself and you is this: slow down and decide to learn more, grow more and change more in the moments we find ourselves in that we might not only impact our own outlook, but that of those around us. Daily we have opportunities to spread kindness around us. Daily we fail at it as we are caught up in our own ambitions, distractions and busyness. Daily we miss the gentle nudge of the Holy Spirit to change a generation that is desperate for someone to notice them, smile at them, encourage them. 

Mark Twain reminds us of the effect that kindness can have, when we take the time to give it. He says,   "Kindness is the language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Being kind in a moment has an impact much stronger than expected, I believe, a spiritual impact!

So beginning now I hope to remember the change I can make by enjoying moments in my life and slowing down enough to realize the effect I can have on the life of another. I hope you can do the same!

2 comments:

  1. I hear ya sister. My first blog post a few years ago echos a similar message. I wrote: "...we can find ourselves distracted, and we forget to take time to appreciate all that is good and true and right in our lives."
    And I find with each passing year, I am craving a much slower paced life...and I find myself being a lot more intentional with how I use my time.

    And for you my dear, a mother of two (one on the outside and one on the inside) take heed to the words you speak...for you speak truth. Life moves quickly and if we are not careful we can miss the moments that count...the moments we only get to experience once.

    Thanks for sharing.

    P.S. If you get a chance...check out my blog @ http://mikeanddanipeterson.blogspot.com/ I only have a few posts so it won't be too overwhelming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blogging is perfect for this, or at least it is for me. It causes me to slow down and look at situations, conversations, and interactions all in a different light. I have to remember them and reflect on them and think about how best to share them with others. I hope you find blogging helpful for slowing down as your life continues to speed-up with a family of four.

    ReplyDelete